I don't know about you, but crab rangoons (or cream cheese wontons) are one of my favorite takeout items. I've never been a big Chinese fan, but these have always been a hit! When I lived in Hickory I had a Chinese restaurant and a Japanese restaurant 2 doors from each other in the same complex near my house. I would call in an order of wontons from the Chinese joint and then head down the sidewalk to grab my Teriyaki Steak takeout. So. Good. Then, they closed my Chinese place and I went through all of the stages of grief haha. Denial, anger, tears..you name it. Now I've moved and am fairly close to great Japanese food, but their rangoons are less than stellar. They aren't very flavorful and both times I've tried them have been super crispy (aka a little burned). So, cue one of my favorite things - recreating restaurant dishes at home!
And y'all - this is a home run! Plus, since their air fried with zero oil they're a better option than the deep fried takeout version!
Air Fried Crab Rangoons
1 package wonton wrappers (I used the Nasoya brand vegan wrappers)
3 oz. flaked style imitation crab
4 oz. Neufchatel cheese
1 green onion
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. Let Neufchatel cheese come to room temperature to soften.
2. Snip green onion top (entire green portion) into small pieces with kitchen scissors.
3. Add green onion and crab into small food processor and pulse until minced.
4. Add minced onion and crab mixture, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt into Neufchatel cheese and combine.
5. Lay out 7 wonton wrappers and spoon approx. 1 tsp. of filling onto each wrapper. Pull up the corners and pinch to form a little pocket.
6. Set your air fryer to 350° and the timer to 4 minutes. After the air fryer has preheated, add the wontons directly onto the rack - no oil or spray required!
7. Serve warm and enjoy! I picked up a takeout container of the red dipping sauce they are usually served with for only .50 at my local Chinese restaurant to keep the authentic flavor combo.
*You can use real crab in place of imitation if you prefer.
*You can use regular cream cheese in place of Neufchatel cheese. Neufchatel has 1/3 the fat of regular cream cheese.